Sunday, February 25, 2007

Comments about Power Point

So, last weekend I wrote about all of the possible applications for power point in the classroom. During the last week I have sought to actualize some of my ideas. At school, during our regular tutoring time, three of my guys were finished with all of their work. These particular students are emerging language learners who are in the early stages of literacy. I asked them if they would like to research something and build a story using power point. Two of the boys partnered together to research their home country of Mexico. The other student, my resident romantic, chose to research Valentine's Day. I briefly showed the students how to open up power point and cut/paste images from Google. The students set to work finding pictures that accurately depicted what they were trying to share. The next step in this project will be to add text to their picture stories. Connecting picture/objects with signs and printed words is very important for Deaf learners. So far the students are enjoying their projects.

As for me, I set out to figure out how to use power point as a teaching tool. I built a spelling lesson for the words cat, bat, mat, sat and rat. I tried to attach the picture to the letters to the finger spelled words. The only piece missing is the signed version of the word. I would like to be able to cut and paste the signs from sign language software onto the lesson. This would be the hearing persons equivalent of "sounding out" a word. Building the lesson was a fun creative process. I would love to be able to post it on my blog but am not sure how to do this !!

Until next week....

1 comment:

Sharon Eilts said...

Great! Now, don't forget about copyright and fair use of information, images, and such from the internet and how it applies to all materials, not just the internet.

Sharon

Check out the following link:
http://halldavidson.com/copyright_chart.pdf