This week we were assigned to design a graphic organizer- one of my favorite teaching tools. The organizers are wonderful because they help students visualize, conceptualize and organize. However, they are especially great for teaching students who are deaf. Generally, deaf and hard of hearing students benefit from instruction that has "visual anchors", or something visual to attach the manual or auditory language stimuli. A perfect concrete visual anchor is a graphic organizer. The design of my organizer is based on one that I use to help students that have difficulty writing an organized and on-topic paragraph. It is simple and relatively easy to use for both the student and the teacher. Most importantly, I have found that it helps the student become a more independent writer.
When I began my research about how I would design my graphic organizer I went online and found that there are many software programs that will create them for you- for a price. The organizers that I could find that were free did not compare to their more expensive, more visually-stimulating counterparts. After seeing all of the amazing possibilities with this software, I am considering a purchase for my classroom.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You can download a 30 demo for Inspiration. Save the organizers as jpegs and you can use them forever.
Post a Comment